Welcome to Anime Pool Party

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon Empty Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon

Post by Solar Crimson Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:13 pm

When massive stars explode, they can send out a jet of radiation called a Gamma Ray Burst. Containing more energy than what the Sun will produce in its entire lifespan but lasting only mere seconds, this ray travels at light speed and is very destructive. Astronomers have detected many over the years, but all have thankfully been too far away for it to do anything to us.

However, if one were to occur within--say--10 lightyears of Earth, the consequences would be deadly. As I said before, they travel at light speed, so by the time we detect one, it would be too late for us to do anything about it. It would strike the Earth and immediately destroy our ozone layer. The living things on the side of the Earth that got hit by the ray would instantly be killed, while the rest of the world would experience rising temperatures, eventually becoming too high for most complex life to bare.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst

Last edited by Solar Crimson on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Taurus Posts : 378
Munny : 52058

http://crimsongalaxy.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon Empty Re: Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon

Post by KomachiHime-sama Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:04 pm

that IS scary Shocked
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Sagittarius Posts : 1815
Munny : 65707

https://www.facebook.com/tetrarina.d.austin

Back to top Go down

Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon Empty Re: Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon

Post by Silence Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Solar Crimson wrote:When massive stars explode, they can send out a jet of radiation called a Gamma Ray Burst. Containing more energy than what the Sun will produce in its entire lifespan but lasting only mere seconds, this ray travels at light speed and is very destructive. Astronomers have detected many over the years, but all have thankfully been too far away for it to do anything to us.

However, if one were to occur within--say--10 lightyears of Earth, the consequences would be deadly. As I said before, they travel at light speed, so by the time we detect one, it would be too late for us to do anything about it. It would strike the Earth and immediately destroy our ozone layer. The living things on the side of the Earth that got hit by the ray would instantly be killed, while the rest of the world would experience rising temperatures, eventually becoming too high for most complex life to bare.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst

i feel so unsecure now D:
Silence
Silence
Genin
Genin

Aries Posts : 85
Munny : 49831

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

the good stuff....every1 enjoyin those solar storms yet?
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Munny : 52962

Back to top Go down

Post by KomachiHime-sama Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:41 pm

i am lolz
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

i wonder how bad it will get...and if it'll actually knock out the power grids in the states
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silence Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

ok thats even scarier now doesnt that cause like radiation sickness?!
Silence
Silence
Genin
Genin

Aries Posts : 85
Munny : 49831

Back to top Go down

Post by KomachiHime-sama Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Silence wrote:ok thats even scarier now doesnt that cause like radiation sickness?!

wut? solar storms?
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solar Crimson Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, my storms cause people to mutate into horrific beings. :p

In all seriousness, the worse a solar storm can do is knock out power grids and disable satellites. But since our society is so reliant on them...
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Solar Crimson wrote:Yes, my storms cause people to mutate into horrific beings. :p

In all seriousness, the worse a solar storm can do is knock out power grids and disable satellites. But since our society is so reliant on them...
yea..i remember reading something about them saying how a solar storm hit awhile ago...but technology wasn't wut it is now....ppl lose their minds when they can't use their cellphones 4 a few minutes...so it would be chaos 4 alot of folks...wut else would be affected...GPS?...wut about tv or internet?
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by KomachiHime-sama Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 pm

i suppose its possible
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solar Crimson Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 pm

delete wrote:
Solar Crimson wrote:Yes, my storms cause people to mutate into horrific beings. :p

yea..i remember reading something about them saying how a solar storm hit awhile ago...but technology wasn't wut it is now....ppl lose their minds when they can't use their cellphones 4 a few minutes...so it would be chaos 4 alot of folks...wut else would be affected...GPS?...wut about tv or internet?
Yep. GPS would be gone. The Internet most likely would be, too. TV... I'm not sure.
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 am

but i need my net..c'mon solar y u gotta hit us with these storms man?
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clinton Girkin Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Don't gamma rays just turn you into the Incredible Hulk?

Clinton Girkin
Genin
Genin

Munny : 48530

Back to top Go down

Post by Solar Crimson Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 pm

delete wrote:but i need my net..c'mon solar y u gotta hit us with these storms man?
Because I like to shake things up. Twisted Evil

Clinton Girkin wrote:Don't gamma rays just turn you into the Incredible Hulk?
Not when you're hit with billions of years worth of solar radiation at once.
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

i find stuff like this real interesting...makes me realize how small i am...i was reading something earlier and they were talkin about how many asteroids fly right past us on a daily basis...this stuff is so intriguing
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by KomachiHime-sama Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 am

Solar Crimson wrote:
delete wrote:but i need my net..c'mon solar y u gotta hit us with these storms man?
Because I like to shake things up. Twisted Evil

Clinton Girkin wrote:Don't gamma rays just turn you into the Incredible Hulk?
Not when you're hit with billions of years worth of solar radiation at once.

then youd jus be incredible pulp
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 am

that was a good 1
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by KomachiHime-sama Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 am

made me lol Laughing
KomachiHime-sama
KomachiHime-sama
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm

joe rogan led me 2 this bit of interesting info

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2011/03/ancient-subatomic-signature-discovered-extending-across-the-universe-a-galaxy-most-popular.html
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solar Crimson Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:46 pm

LMAO at Incredible Pulp. Laughing

delete wrote:i find stuff like this real interesting...makes me realize how small i am...i was reading something earlier and they were talkin about how many asteroids fly right past us on a daily basis...this stuff is so intriguing
Yep. There was one asteroid that flew by so close to Earth that it was the equivalent of a person being grazed by a bullet.
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm

Solar Crimson wrote:
Yep. There was one asteroid that flew by so close to Earth that it was the equivalent of a person being grazed by a bullet.
i was watchin "known universe" : cosmic collisions...n thought about this thread
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Random fact: A Gamma Ray Burst is perhaps the deadliest natural phenomenon 1260381807_god-creates-the-universe
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solar Crimson Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:09 pm

I haven't been watching much TV lately. Except for Fringe and some syndicated stuff, that is.

If I had cable in my room, I could watch the Science Channel, NatGeo, and some other stuff.
Solar Crimson
Solar Crimson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7/7/7 Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:26 pm

i watch most my tv stuff online now...i caught that universe ep only cause my net went out...but found it interesting since joe rogan was talkin about cosmic collisions...then my net goes out n it's an ep about that stuff on tv
7/7/7
7/7/7
Jounin
Jounin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next